One of the most important decisions that you will make as a family caregiver for your aging parent is whether they will benefit from the additional care and support of a home care provider.
You want to make sure that you are making the decision that is right for them, and that will help them to live the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. In order to make this decision with confidence, you must evaluate your parent to determine if they have needs that would be best fulfilled by an in-home senior care services provider. One way to do this is to simply evaluate their appearance when you see them. How your parent looks can tell you a tremendous amount about their condition and well-being, and illustrate when it may be time to expand their care.
Some things to look for about your parent’s appearance that can tell you that they need home care include:
- Clothing that does not match
- Clothing that is stained, torn, or otherwise in poor condition
- Clothing that does not fit the season or is inappropriate for the activity that you are doing
- Appearing unkempt, such as hair that is not brushed or an unshaven face
- A senior who has always worn makeup no longer going through this process or looking as though they’re having a more difficult time doing it
- Bruises, cuts, scrapes, or other injuries that indicate that they might be experiencing minor accidents or issues throughout the house such as falling or running into things
- Significant weight loss that could indicate that they are not getting the nutrition that they need or that they are dealing with a health challenge that is causing weight loss
- Weight gain that could indicate that they are not eating a healthy diet or not getting the exercise that they need
How can elder care help?
If your parent is facing challenges or needs that you do not feel that you can fulfill effectively, or you simply feel that your aging loved one would benefit from additional support and care, home care may be the ideal solution. Starting home care for your aging parent is a fantastic way to encourage your parent to live a lifestyle that is as fulfilling, active, and engaged, while also supporting their health, safety, and well-being throughout their later years.
These personalized services can include safe and reliable transportation, helping your parent run errands, assistance with personal care tasks such as bathing or toileting, mobility assistance for those with balance or other mobility problems, meal preparation, housekeeping, and companionship.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering homecare in Claremont, CA, call the caring staff at Aviva In-Home Care. Call today: (415) 795-2203
- What Do You Need in Order to Be a More Effective Long-Distance Caregiver? - April 3, 2020
- Home Care Balances Your Need for a Break With Your Dad’s Care Needs - March 26, 2020
- Update on COVID-19 from Aviva In-Home Care - March 26, 2020